Where do we begin with suggestions for recreation opportunities in the Columbia River Gorge? The list is very long … you will find it all here. Lifelong natives have not had time to partake in every recreational activity that is available in the region. For more specific information about the Gifford Pinchot National Forest and Mt. St. Helens National Volcanic Monument including maps, directions, road conditions, etc., check out http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/. You can pick and choose from the following list and spend three days, three weeks or three months enjoying our year-round recreation mecca. Make sure to stop by the Visitor Information Center at the Skamania County Chamber of Commerce (167 NW Second Street, Stevenson) for parking passes, maps or ideas.
Looking for a ride to your favorite trailhead? Check out Skamania County's seasonal transit schedule and ride the WET (West End Transit) bus! This service runs on Saturday and Sunday from May through October.
You can use the WET Bus to access many amazing Gorge experiences. Friends of Columbia Gorge has created hike itineraries keyed to the WET Bus schedule.
- Bicycling - Columbia River Gorge Bike Map, North Bonneville Discovery Trails
- Bird Watching
- Camping - Washington State Parks, Gifford Pinchot National Forest Campgrounds
- Cross Country Skiing
- Disc Golf
- Fishing – Fly, Boat, Bank or Guided - KD Guide Services, Always Catchin'
- Fish Viewing - Bonneville Lock and Dam
- Geocaching - TripBuzz Guide
- Golfing - Skamania Lodge, Beacon Rock Golf Course, Elk Ridge Golf Course
- Guided Hikes on Mt. St. Helens
- Huckleberry Picking
- Interpretive Trails - Paved, ADA Accessible, Walking & Biking Trails
- Motorized Vehicles - Designated Trails (Trail Bikes/ATVs)
- Mountain Biking-Gifford Pinchot National Forest, Cascade Locks Easy Climb Trail
- Mountain and Rock Climbing
- Mushroom Picking
- Sailing - Hood River Waterplay, Columbia Gorge Racing Association
- Water Skiing or Jet Skiing
- Whitewater Rafting - All Adventures Rafting, Wet Planet Whitewater, Zoller's Outdoor Odysseys
- Wildflower Viewing
- Ziplining - last on the list but high on fun!!